Return to Disabilities home


Advice and resources from the WIN-MILL Project

Rehabilitation WIN-MILL prject- information and training on the Rehabilitation Act for Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan, Illinois

The governing act, running along side ADA and the Carl Perkins Act is the federal Rehabilitation Act of 1973 with 1998 amendments for increased opportunity. Persons with disabilities have a right to services under the act.
List of parent and adult resources under the act is in the section on Rehabilitation Resources, near end of this page.

The Act ensures thatt vocational rehabilitation servcies wil be made availbe to those determnine deligible through state departments of rehabilitaion services, aimning at full inclusion in the community, gainful emplyment, recreation, and other aspects of an everyday life. This includes by law right to:

Getting started:

Transition services for life after high school (Get in touch with agencies and start no later than age 16)

Assessment of Eligiibility. Have a counsellor assigned by state Division of Rehabilitation Services.
Division of Rehabilitation Services. 80o 843-6154, TTY 447-6404.
Division of Rehabilitation Services Ticket to Work Unit.
(Same website as above.)
800 795-9973, TTY 800 524-9904. Provides information about DRS's role as an Employment Network.)
You will need information on income, medical history, your plans, education, other data that might help eligibility.
Law provides that a decision be made within 60 days unless mutually extended. Be sure a counsellor is assigned.

Vocational Rehabilitation. VR is designed to improve skills for adult life through, among others, education, trining, geting a job, living on your own, connecting in the community. Develop an Individualized Plan For Employment (IPE) in writing with your counsellor. It should refelct your interests and choices.

Vocational Assessments. With your counsellor you can, for example, review your records, training and experience- be sure to take full account of volunteer and extra-curricular activities! You may be asked to go for skill trials. From all of these, set your goals and put them in your IPE.

Employment. You are presumed to be able to work--you do not have to prove it. Your employment goal, including hours and various support have to be suitable to you as an individual. Your counsellor must help you find and keep the job.

Independent Living. Your counsellor should provide information and referrals to help you with this. Get more information on Centers for Independent Living from the state Parent Training and Information Center.
(Illinois: Family Resource Center on Disabilities-FRCD, 20 E. Jackson room 300 60604 312 939-3513, TDD 939-3519,,

Accountability. You havd a right to information and aadvice about benefits through Client Assistance Program (information about from Rehabilitation Services). Information on available services and benefits, advocacy services, assitance with mediation or a hearing.

If you hve been denied access to transition services, vocational rehabilitation service, emplyment opportunities (hiring, promotion, training, benefits that you are qualified for), recreation and other community programs, oportunity to participate in or benefit from federally funded programs:
you can file a written complaint with the Office for Civil Rights (OCR) within 180 days.

Rehabilitation Services resources


Office of Special Education and Rehabilitation Services
U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue SW, Room 3006-MES, Washington, DC 20202-2500,

Office of Civil Rights
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 200 Independence Avenue Sw, Room 515F-Humphrey Bldg., Washington, DC 20001, 202-619-0403

Disabilities Rights Section (ADA)
U. S. Department of Justice, P.O. 66738, Washington, DC 20035-6738,
800-514-0301, TDD 800-514-0383

Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
1801 L Street, Washington, DC 20507, 800-669-3362, 800-669-3302