About the HPKCC Schools Committee- short version
by the Schools Committee and Hyde Park-Kenwood Community Conference
The mission of the Hyde Park-Kenwood Community Conference (HPKCC) Schools Committee is to provide community support for the schools and a place where Local School Council and other school support group members can meet and share information.
The Schools Committee
• Supports our Local School
• Encourages community involvement in our schools,
• Organizes forums and events on education issues that matter to the community,
• Provides a variety of resources for schools and families on our web site, www.hydepark.org/education/schools.html, including HPKCC Youth Programs Database www.hydepark.org/schools.
If you are interested in our schools, come give us a try! The Schools Committee meets monthly at the United Church of Hyde Park. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Schools Committee services to schools, parents and community
Local School Council support activities
• LSC-PAC-PTA Biennial Recognition Ceremony near end of term and to promote LSC election
• LSC Chair-Principal Networking Dinner each fall after the LSC election
• Mutual assigned representation at LSC and Schools Committee meetings, and help to schools as needed
• Support and issue-awareness in the community through forums, positions, publication, and collaborations
• Workshops that put schools in touch with after school providers and led to a database for schools and parents in www.hydepark.org/schools
• Workshops on accessing financial, material and other resources for schools
• HPKCC Youth Programs Database & expanded database in www.hydepark.org/schools
• A full array of resources, directories, and information on schools, councils and issues
Why we focus on supporting our Local School Councils (LSCs)
Local School Councils are each school’s
elected body—parents, residents, teachers, principal.
The LSC's major responsibilities are to approve the school budget and annual strategic plan (called the school improvement plan), to evaluate the principal every year and to decide every four years if they want to renew the principal's contract or hire a new principal. Community based, this is the nation’s strongest schools site management system.